Love or hate them, Homeowners Associations are in place to protect us.Their vigilance and foresight help alleviate what could be catastrophic design and build problems.
So when this Hilliard, OH, family decided to have this multi-level outdoor sanctuary designed, they asked Archadeck to comply with the HOA regulations of not including a flat roof atop the structure. So we created a dramatic balcony overlook. Pretty smart, eh? We thought so. And so does the family AND the HOA. Everybody wins.
Deck And Porch Combination Designs Are What Archadeck Of Columbus Does Best
Why settle for just a deck when you can have it transformed it into a covered porch? Think of it as a double duty outdoor living space extraordinaire. Take a look at these amazing before and after images:
The best way to plan a combination space that's right for you is to think about how you want to live outdoors. It's important to also think about how this may change in a few years. You are going to spend lots of time living outdoors so it's important to build a space that fits the bill. Here are 11 key questions about usability and functionality that you need to ask yourself when considering a custom-covered porch in Hilliard, OH.
1. Do you want to eat outside?
2. Do you want to grill outside?
3. Do you want a grill attached to your deck or patio or do you want a separate grilling space with seating to enjoy the grilling experience?
4. Do you want a private space to read outside?
5. How many people may want to use the space at the same time? Are you going to entertain a good bit? How many people will you usually entertain?
6. Do you want a place to sit and watch what's going on in the rest of the backyard? Perhaps you’re watching over kids in the pool or just enjoying the view of your garden.
7. How much sun protection do you want? Do you want a space that has both a covered area and an uncovered area?
8. How much wind protection do you want? Basically, do you want a screened area or an enclosed 3-season room for an indoor/outdoor living feel?
9. Do you want your space screened for bug protection?
10. Do you want to enjoy the fresh air and the sound of rain without getting wet?
11. How do you want to transition into your yard? Do you perhaps want a low space for ease of transition into it?
How This Balcony Deck Builder Used Creative Thinking To Create An Outdoor Living Space Worthy Of Praise
No matter how you look at it, admit it, it's amazing. It's a deck. It's a covered porch. And it's a balcony deck.
As they say, the devil is in the details, so here goes.
As the family wanted to focus on outdoor fun and leisure, with an emphasis on entertaining, they didn’t want to have to deal with conventional wood deck upkeep. Our solution? Instead of pressure treated lumber or cedar, we used TimberTech decking.
In this beautiful color hue of Pecan, this easy to care for maintenance-free deck … porch … covered porch … whatever you want to call it - is simply stunning.
It has now become commonplace to use composite decking here in the greater Columbus area, as most of our outdoor living space clients don't want to stain their deck every year, and in fact, if they use low-maintenance decking, they never have to.
There are a variety of synthetic decking materials that look very similar to wood but never require staining nor any annual maintenance. The only maintenance they require is using a sponge or hose to remove anything you would remove from your indoor floors such as ketchup and food spills. Otherwise, the mud that’s tracked on it, along with the dirt and pollen, can be removed with a garden hose or perhaps the addition of a sponge and water. How’s that for a nice and clean cleanup?
Details That Set Us Apart From Any Other Outdoor Living Space Contractor
This outdoor living contractor brought creative vision to this backyard with the following key assets to provide greater functionality and creature comforts:
- Riser lights in the stairs to guide evening access
- A stacked stone veneer gas burning fireplace for chilly evenings
- Protective support https://preferredrailingsystems.com/>railings in dependable powder-coated aluminum, our go-to choice
- Cedar tongue and groove ceiling for durability and long lasting beauty
- Powlaunia wrapped posts, as this precious wood is very light, fine-grained and warp resistant
- Extension walls with two windows on either side of the fireplace for pleasant light filtering
- Radiant heaters to provide warmth and cozy comfort during those cooler days and evenings
- Custom rubber roof under deck for impenetrable protection
- Gutters to facilitate rainfall to move away from the structure
Meet With Us Up Close And Personal
Here's your chance to see how Archadeck can change your life with exquisitely custom tailored outdoor spaces that will be yours alone. For a free, no-obligation design consultation, just click here. And thank you for your consideration.
The Archadeck of Columbus Team.